Now, this is downright frightening. Link to Wikipedia article about the “National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2012”, which Obama signed into law December 31, 2011 – a date probably chosen to draw the minimum amount of interest in the news media.
The scary part is that this act authorizes the government to lock up anyone who – in their opinion – is a terrorist, U.S. citizen or not, on American soil or not – indefinitely and without legal recourse. No phone call, no lawyer, no due process, no communication.
The article says it provides for the “indefinite detention without trial [of] American terrorism suspects arrested on US soil who could then be shipped to Guantánamo Bay”.
So much for the Bill of Rights, or the rest of the Constitution.
This is especially scary when you consider just exactly who this administration thinks is, or might be, a terrorist. Here is an earlier blog post of mine regarding a memo on this subject that Janet Napolitano released. This memo embarrassed Napolitano, and was withdrawn – but I very much doubt that withdrawing it changed the viewpoints of Napolitano and the DHS.
According to that memo, you may be suspected of terrorism if you:
- Stockpiled ammunition “in anticipation of restrictions and bans”. (I wonder if a couple thousand rounds of pistol ammo is a “stockpile”).
- Are opposed to abortion.
- Are a veteran.
- Would prefer less intrusive, smaller government.
- Have noticed that a lot of people are losing their jobs.
- If you worry about a “cataclysmic economic collapse”.
- Don’t want “restrictions on firearms ownership and use”.
- Don’t much care for Obama’s “perceived stance on a range of issues”.
- Are a Christian, and believe in Biblical prophecy. (Yes, that’s in the report).
- Are against illegal immigration.
- If you are against same-sex marriage.
- Are against any firearm registration requirement.
- Thought the “District of Columbia vs Heller” Supreme Court decision was a good thing.
- If you fear “suspension of the U.S. Constitution” – SEE ABOVE
- and more.
If you don’t believe the above, you can read the original memo here – it’s a PDF file.
Now, I live in East Texas. If the above is your criteria for potential terrorist, you could probably get 90% of the population of the entire region on at least several of these. Shucks, you could get most of the NRA membership, and most of the Tea Party, and many more.
Heck; here in the South, most of these items are considered signs of good citizenship!
As it happens, I meet almost all of these criteria (I’m not a veteran); but I am most emphatically not a terrorist. I am a peaceable man, who believes that we urgently need to vote the present administration out, and reinstate constitutional government – which no longer exists, as things stand.
If the government can lock you up and throw away the key, without legal recourse, and based on the opinion of some bureaucrat who has decided that you meet his definition of “terrorist”, then we no longer have a constitutional government.
I urge you to vote for a constitutional government in November!
While you still can.