Obama just gave a speech about the election results. I haven’t heard the speech myself, yet, but Quoting from here:
Pressed for specifics, Obama suggested he’d be open to joining Republicans in calling for a moratorium on earmarks and taking a second look at a controversial provision in the health care law that requires businesses to file 1099 tax forms for large purchases.
This is not nearly enough. Earmarks represent a lot of money that is mostly wasted, but they are a drop in the bucket compared to the real problems. And the 1099 tax form issue is going to be a big paperwork expense for companies, but again it is trivial in comparison to the other stuff in ObamaCare, such as the unconstitutional legal requirement to buy insurance.
- Extend ALL the Bush tax cuts indefinitely and immediately.
- Defund ObamaCare and obstruct its implementation everywhere possible – then repeal it in 2013.
- Do not allow the implementation of any form of cap and trade.
- No more bailouts. Yank back everything that hasn’t already been spent.
- Call for a decrease in federal salaries and funding, at least equal to the increase that Obama implemented shortly after taking office.
This list is by no means complete, but it is a start.
At first blush, it does not look like Obama is going to change his direction in any meaningful way. And that means that we’re going to have a real mess on our hands. Obama talks about cooperation, but he doesn’t mean that he will cooperate with anybody – he means everybody else should cooperate with him.