The Department of Homeland Security recently issued a report – and it’s very interesting. Apparently, these people would classify me as a potential terrorist. Reading the report, I find:
- I stockpiled ammunition (well, I did buy some extra) “in anticipation of restrictions and bans”. I even bought a new gun, which I was going to buy anyway – but the election did influence the timing of my purchase.
- I’m opposed to abortion.
- I would prefer less intrusive, smaller government.
- I’ve noticed that a lot of people are losing their jobs.
- I don’t want “restrictions on firearms ownership and use”.
- I don’t much care for Obama’s “perceived stance on a range of issues”.
- I’m a Christian, and I believe in Biblical prophecy. (Yes, that’s in the report).
- I’m against illegal immigration. (I’m perfectly fine with legal immigration. But illegal immigration is, well, illegal. Funny, you’d think the government would be against illegal activity.)
- I’m specifically against any firearm registration requirement.
- I thought the “District of Columbia vs Heller” Supreme Court decision was a good thing.
Wow. These are the things these paranoid people find disturbing – that apply to me!
They also targeted veterans, which is despicable. I’m pleased to see that Janet Napolitano, head of Homeland Security, apologized for that one. Now I’m waiting for her apology to ME. Those jerks have a lot of nerve, identifying people who are politically against the current administration as being potential terrorists.
I’m here to tell you that, other than a traffic ticket in 1988, I have never had a brush-up with the law. I’ve passed the background check for a concealed handgun license, which is pretty thorough. I believe strongly in the safe and proper use of firearms. I believe in the rule of law, so long as that law is created by a democratic process in which all citizens have input. I’ve never, ever cheated on my taxes – unlike six or seven of Obama’s cabinet members.
I oppose Obama’s socialist tendencies and economic policies and positions on abortion and gun control. It’s hard for me to see how that translates into a tendency to become a terrorist.
This document is very disturbing – partly because of its content, but even more because it is a window into the mindset of the people presently in power in Washington. Napolitano may have apologized, but you can bet that their attitudes haven’t changed.
I am very concerned.
ADDENDUM: There’s going to be legal action against the DHS by the Thomas More Law Center. Also, they compiled a list similar to mine, and I missed a few:
Richard Thompson, President and Chief Counsel of the Law Center stated, “Janet Napolitano is lying to the American people when she says the Report is not based on ideology or political beliefs. In fact, her report would have the admiration of the Gestapo and any current or past dictator in the way it targets political opponents. This incompetently written intelligence assessment, which directs law enforcement officials across the country to target and report on American citizens who have the political beliefs mentioned in the report, will be used as a tool to stifle political opposition and opinions. It will give a pretext for opponents of those Americans to report them to police as rightwing extremists and terrorists. You can imagine what happens then.”
The Report specifically mentions the following political beliefs that law enforcement should use to determine whether someone is a “rightwing extremist”:
- Opposes restrictions on firearms
- Opposes lax immigration
- Opposes the policies of President Obama regarding immigration, citizenship, and the expansion of social programs
- Opposes continuation of free trade agreements
- Opposes same-sex marriage
- Has paranoia of foreign regimes
- Fear of Communist regimes
- Opposes one world government
- Bemoans the decline of U.S. stature in the world.
- Upset with loss of U.S. manufacturing jobs to China and India
- . . . and the list goes on
Emphasis mine. Not all of these apply to me… but most of them do, at least to some degree.
With our government issuing rubbish like this, I’m beginning to wonder –
Is the United States of America still the Land of the Free?
Maybe not for much longer.